The International BTHVN WIEN Competition 2023 is open to all nationalities and ages in piano, strings, wind, vocal and chamber music. Each discipline is divided into different age categories.
Instruments & Categories
- KEYBOARDS: Piano Solo, Harpsichord, Organ, Accordion
- STRINGS: Violin, Viola, Cello, Double bass, Guitar, Harp
- WOODWINDS: Flute, Oboe, English horn, Clarinet, Saxophone, Bassoon
- BRASSWINDS: Trumpet, French Horn, Trombone, Euphonium, Tuba
- VOICE: Soprano, Mezzo-Soprano, Alto, Tenor, Baritone, Bass
- PERCUSSION: Vibraphon, Marimba, Snare drum, Setup, Timpani, Drum set, Hands-percussion
- PIANO FOUR HANDS
- CHAMBER MUSIC: Duo, Trio, Quartet, Quintet, String Quartet, Saxophone Quartet, Wind Quintet, Reed Quintet, Others
Category A: Born in 1997 and older / Up to 20 min
Category B: Born in 1998/1999 / Up to 20 min
Category C: Born in 2000/2001 / Up to 15 min
Category D: Born in 2002/2003 / Up to 15 min
Category E: Born in 2004/2005 / Up to 12 min
Category F: Born in 2006/2007 / Up to 12 min
Category G: Born in 2008/2009 / Up to 10 min
Category H: Born in 2010/2011 / Up to 10 min
Category I: Born in 2012/2013 / Up to 7 min
Category J: Born in 2014/2015 / Up to 7 min
Category K: Born in 2016/2017 / Up to 5 min
Category L: Born in 2018 and and younger / Up to 5 min
The International BTHVN Wien Competition consists of 2 rounds (online):
1. First Round
First Round (registration fee: € 25). Entrants must visit the official website of BTHVN Wien and complete the preliminary round application form on the “Application” page, submit a video recording link of their musical performance and pay the entry fee. *The entrance fee is a non-refundable payment.
This contest accepts links to major global video websites: YouTube, Vimeo, BiliBili or Youku.
Please make sure you fully comply with the “Video Requirements”. If there is a situation that does not comply with the following rules, the participants will automatically lose their qualifications for the final round.
Selected finalists will receive an email invitation with instructions on how to apply for the final round. Invitations will be sent by email. PLEASE CHECK THE SPAM BOX in your mailbox, sometimes the mail sent by our system will be considered as spam by the email service provider, the official email address of the system is email@example.com.
2. Final Round
Final (Approved Invitation Based Application, entry fee: € 75). Only contestants selected in the qualifying round (preliminary round) are entitled to advance to the final round. Participants who can advance to the final round can use the same work presented during the preliminary round or update it during the period indicated for this purpose.
Finalists must use the link in the email to complete the final application steps by the application deadline for the final round, pay the final application fee via a secure payment link through the official website of BTHVN Wien and complete the application form.*The final application fee is a non-refundable payment.
*Guardians of minors must sign a separate notice “Allow competition organiser to use names of minors on websites and social networks” to allow BTHVN Wien to publish prizes and personal images, video materials and biographies on major social media platforms worldwide.
3. Video Requirements
Video recordings (audio not acceptable) must be performed by the applicants and may not be edited, nor should any effects be added. To ensure that poor recording quality does not interfere with the jury’s ability to review the material, avoid distortion and ensure that the accompaniment is not louder than the applicant (where applicable). You will not be penalised for the quality of your video, although it is important that it is good enough to see and hear you clearly.
When you submit the Application Form, please include the piece/s you are applying with in the format: name of the piece, composer’s name, duration.
Videos should be available for watching online – download links will not be accepted. The video recorded must be made no later than 18 months preceding the date of your entry.
4. Age Categories & Programs Duration:
- Category A: Born in 1997 and older / Up to 20 min
- Category B: Born in 1998/1999 / Up to 20 min
- Category C: Born in 2000/2001 / Up to 15 min
- Category D: Born in 2002/2003 / Up to 15 min
- Category E: Born in 2004/2005 / Up to 12 min
- Category F: Born in 2006/2007 / Up to 12 min
- Category G: Born in 2008/2009 / Up to 10 min
- Category H: Born in 2010/2011 / Up to 10 min
- Category I: Born in 2012/2013 / Up to 7 min
- Category J: Born in 2014/2015 / Up to 7 min
- Category K: Born in 2016/2017 / Up to 5 min
- Category L: Born in 2018 and and younger / Up to 5 min
For Chamber Music, the category will be determined by the average age of the members of a given group.
5. Repertoire Requirements:
Choose one or more music pieces from the following musical periods below:
- 1) Baroque
- 2) Classical
- 3) Romantic
- 4) Modern Classical / Contemporary Music (up to present time)
6. Jury and evaluation system:
The BTHVN Wien Jury will be made up of world-renowned concert performers, musicians, music educators and teachers. For details on the current jury members, please click on the “Jury” page of the official BTHVN Wien website.
Each jury score will be evaluated through the video materials submitted by each participant. Final winner selections will be based solely on video recordings submitted. The judges’ votes are strictly confidential and will not be shared or published. All decisions of the Jury will be final and irrevocable.
Each member of the jury awards points (0-100) evaluating the interpretations according to the following criteria:
- Rhythm, intonation and note accuracy
- Musical phrasing & articulation
- Diction or words / Clarity of notes
- Interpretation and musicality and level of the program
- Overall musicianship and stage presence
The final score will be the average of the scores given by the individual members of each jury.
Prizes are awarded according to the following table:
- Grand Prize: 99-100 points
- 1st Prize: 93-100 points
- 2nd Prize: 86-100 points
- 3rd Prize: 79-100 points
- 4th Prize: 72-100
- Special Mention: 65-100
- Honorable Mention: 55-100 points
- Finalist certificate: less than 55 points
8. Certificates and Letters of Recommendation
All competition award certificates will be emailed in high resolution JPEG format following the final results and award announcement date.
Those participants who have advanced to the final round BTHVN Wien at least three times with three works in different styles will have the opportunity to obtain a letter of recommendation.
- First Round Application Deadline: August 25th, 2023
- Finalist Announcement Date: September 1st, 2023
- Final Round Application Deadline: September 5th, 2023
- Final Results & Rewards Announcement Date: October 15th, 2023